Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My cat has been limping /won't put any weight on s front

Customer Question

my cat has been limping /won't put any weight on his front right foot. One of his claws won't retract and his pad is very sensitive to the the touch.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: not sure. he sometimes stays out at night. noticed his limp yesterday morning and it seems like it's worse today
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Original Joe (OJ) 3 years in August
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joe?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Unless proven otherwise, OJ was in a cat fight and has been bitten in the paw. Prompt administration of a systemic broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin/clavulanate can avoid having to surgically open and debride a bite wound abscess which is sure to develop if this is left unattended. See what you can do about having OJ seen tomorrow. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.