Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Swollen face, it's a hard lump on one side. She is eating

Customer Question

Swollen face, it's a hard lump on one side. She is eating and drinking regularly and otherwise behavior is normal No fever
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Sheena she is 15 :-)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sheena?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I am taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning to have her checked out, I'm just trying to get some info ahead of time if I can
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry Sheena is having trouble.

How long has she had this lump?

Can you post a pic?

Is there any chance she was bitten or stung?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Sheena may have an abscessed tooth. If she is in pain you can use baby oragel till she sees a vet.Check mouth for a stuck item, oral sore, bad tooth or any abnormalities.

If she was stung she can have an antihistamine:

, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?