Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My cat has a wound, a fissure type of wound above her anus.

Customer Question

Hello my cat has a wound, a fissure type of wound above her anus. She's been hiding the entire day and doesn't like me to look at it. When I tried to clean it, there was blood. Do I need to take her to the ER?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not a lot. But when I tried to wipe it, it wasn't dry and I couldn't get it all off
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Trufa, she's 9 and she has long hair
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trufa?
Customer: She's pretty healthy. She lives indoors. She has steady weight. No bloody stools
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: But she hasn't eaten today
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Trufa. In a situation like this, it would be most ideal to have her seen as soon as possible to get the care going that helps this situation to resolve the best as possible. With a wound like this, it could have been due to something biting her there. It could also be due to an anal gland getting blocked up and infected. Wounds like this would benefit from having a veterinarian inspect them, clean them, flush them and then starting her on pain medication and antibiotics so she's on the path to get it healed. Is it going to be absolutely critical to get her seen tonight versus tomorrow with your vet? It most likely wouldn't, but it would be nice to get therapy going as soon as possible to give her relief.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?