Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Ate rabbit 4 days ago. Lethargic, wasting, not seeking

Customer Question

Ate rabbit 4 days ago. Lethargic, wasting, not seeking attention or venturing outside. Very unusual behavior for this cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: She eats wild critters almost daily.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She just drank and ate a little bit. Seems to have a sniffle.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry you are worried.

Please tell me more about her.

How old is she?

You say she often eats wild life, does she ever eat cat food?

Does she come in the house or live outside?

What did she just eat?

You say she has a sniffle, any sneezing?

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

It is possible the rabbit had some bacteria.

If she is nauseated she can have one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic.

Give her one half tsp a day of plain yogurt for good bacteria.

She can have an antihistamine for sniffles.

, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,