Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a baby kitten (approx 5-6 weeks old) who has lost her

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. I have a baby kitten (approx 5-6 weeks old) who has lost her meow. She is acting fine otherwise playing and eating with no signs of URI. She was meowing when I first got her, but hasn't made a peep in a day or two. She opens up her mouth and nothing comes out. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?
Customer: She is a foster baby and I've had her for about 2 weeks. I'm an experienced Foster and have never seen this before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Bless you for fostering!

I am so sorry the baby has lost her meow.She most likely has a sore throat.

All you need to do is give her a drop of honey every 4 hours. It will sooth her throat and return her meow.Most cats will lick it off your finger.

It is a remarkable healing agent:

Feed canned food till she gets her voice back.

However, keep a eye on her for any sneezing which would indicate an upper respiratory infection. These are viral,airbourn and very common in kittens.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,