Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

He 16 1/2 years old and has been well up until he became

Customer Question

He 16 1/2 years old and has been well up until he became missing a few days ago. Found him curled up in a ball in a cupboard in the laundry room on Monday. He's not interested in food or water and hasn't left that spot. Is he shutting down? He doesn't seem to be in pain, just listless.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Frankie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankie?
Customer: I don't think he is has Peed as much in the past week, it's hard to tell because we have another cat. But didn't seem to be as much clumps to take out of the box.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Frankie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

When cats are sick, they like to hide their symptoms, and will do things like hide, and not eat. If he has not eaten or drunk for a few days, he is probably dehydrated at this point.

If you check his gums, are they pink in color, or pale?

You can check him for dehydration by gently pinching skin over his shoulders, and letting go. The skin should be back in place in less than one second. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated and needs to get fluids into him.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

If he is urinating less, it could be kidney failure and/or dehydration.

If he were mine, or my patient, the first thing I would do is get supplemental fluids into him by injecting under the skin or by IV catheter. I would examine him and try to find out what is wrong: infection, kidney disease, liver disease, cancer, heart disease. Any illness could make him shut down like this, but it might be reversible, depending on what is causing him to shut down.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His gum seen pink I do think the skin isn't snapping back in place very quickly,
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

It is a good sign his gums are pink. However, if his skin is not snapping back, he is dehydrated, and needs fluids. You can try offering him broth or water or tuna juice to try to get fluids into him, but it would be better to see a veterinarian and have fluids injected under his skin.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Since he is older a thorough physical exam and some fluids would be best. Try to get him to take liquids until you can get him checked out.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is he doing? Was my answer helpful? What other questions can I answer?