Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She has not eaten or drank two days : Threw up bile.

Customer Question

She has not eaten or drank for almost two days
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Threw up bile. Sweetness
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweetness?
Customer: X3
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
10 year old rescue medium hair tabby. No significant PMH other than previous obesity (now healthy weight). I gave her 100cc subQ LR 1 hour ago....still no urine. She is medium haired and 10 yrs old allow me to pet it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. Auto correct mangled the last sentence. Please disregard.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear that Sweetness is not feeling well.

I have just a few questions, so I can assist you better:

Is Sweetness spayed?

Does she spend any time outside?

Is she using the litterbox at all? (stool? if no urination)

What and when did she eat last?

She threw up bile 3 times?

What color are her gums?

Thanks for all your additional information and after your reply, please allow me some time to compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest wishes,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spayed, indoor only, no stool or urination since June 13th early AM (I scooped the box at 6am), ate wet food (Purina) mixed with a little water (TB), she threw up partially digested food and then just bilious gastric effluent twice. Gums pink/brown like usual.
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

Because Sweetness is a senior kitty, she is more prone to develop various medical conditions like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues. In addition, if she is a medium-haired tabby, she may have a large hairball from self-grooming, that has mixed with hard, dry stool and caused an intestinal obstruction. This would cause her to not be able to defecate and also lose her appetite.

If she's not eating, her stomach is empty and an empty stomach produces excess acid which then causes nausea, so this could be the reason for throwing up bile. You can try to give her 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (Famotidine is the generic) every 12 hours to quell the nausea and decrease the stomach acid or acid reflux, if it's coming up into her throat.

She should urinate, if you gave her the sub-Q fluids, but you have to wait for the fluids to be absorbed by her body.

It's possible she has an oral/dental problem, so try to check the inside of her mouth for anything stuck on the roof of her mouth, between teeth, between teeth and gums, under tongue or any redness/gum swelling, indicating an abscessed tooth or gum infection. This may be a cause for her not wanting to eat or drink, if her mouth is in pain.

If you have any live or dried plants or flowers in the house, she could have nibbled on a toxic one or she could have ingested a non-food item, causing an intestinal obstruction and inappetance. She also could have been bitten or stung by a venomous insect, spider or snake, depending on your location. Feel all over her body for any bites, swellings or pain response. Feel if her belly is hard.

When a cat of this age begins to exhibit the symptoms you describe, There's not much to be done at home, so your next best step would be to bring her to her vet, or if they are not open now, bring her to an ER vet center for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment.

I hope all will be well with your Sweetness and please let me know how she's doing. Also, please let me know what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest wishes,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
None of the above is not something I already know (I work as a clinician for humans).
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

I had a feeling you were in the medical field! : )

While I realize some of the things I mentioned to you, you're already aware of, Sweetness still needs to be seen by a vet, asap.

When a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, she risks developing hepatic lipidosis and without drinking, of course she will become dehydrated. I'm sure she's dehydrated, now, but giving her the sub-Q fluids will help. However, the cause of her problem needs to be determined by the vet after a hands on exam, blood work and possibly imaging, to see if she has an intestinal obstruction.

Besides the sub-Q fluids, there's really nothing much you can do at home to help her, until you know the cause of the symptoms shes' exhibiting. Because she's an older cat, unfortunately, she could go downhill quickly, if she is not diagnosed and treated.

Bring her in to the vet and find out what's going on.

I hope she will be fine!

Warmest wishes,