nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

She has a cloudy looking eye with red bloody look toward the

Customer Question

She has a cloudy looking eye with red bloody look toward the outer eye area not the rim but the coloured psrt of the eye. She seems to be squinting the eye so the inner skin piece is partially covering the eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Ponsonby- she is maybe 3 years old?
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Ponsonby
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pozsony?
Customer: Ponsonby
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has her eye been like this?

Any history of trauma or eye injury?

Do you mean it looks inflamed/red? Does this look to be superficially or deep in the iris?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It has been a day. I just noticed it this afternoon.Atho a couple of days ago I did notice a little dried mucus on her fur under her eye (). She has no history of eye injury or trauma. The redness seems to be more concentrated toward the outer part of her eye not so much the pupil. She is eating & drinking.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She seems a little off sorts- but I'm not sure whether I'm being paranoid or not.
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

I have received your reply and will post my thoughts in full momentarily,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Now with her head position and the light reflecting off her cornea, this does make it a bit challenging to interpret these changes. Still, as we appear to have pink discoloration at the level of the iris, I do have to note that this raises concern of a mild bleed inside the eye. If we have small bleeds, they can often look pink since the blood will mix with the fluids in the eye.

Now while she has no known history of trauma, to see this coupled with the scleral inflammation (the redness on the side), I’d suspect something has happened (a blunt force trauma as opposed to something sharp being in contact with the eye) that she isn’t telling us about. Otherwise, we’d have to be concerned that she has had a small bleed from one of the internal blood vessels which could be due to intraocular inflammation (uveitis –which can be caused by viruses, parasites like Toxoplasma, and sometimes related to tumors, though less likely at her age). And for those, we’d then be concerned that the changes on the side may be related to the pressures in the eye being higher then normal.

With this all in mind, we need to tread with care. Ideally, we’d want to have her seen once her vet is open. They can check her eye pressure and check for internal eye inflammation or changes to the blood vessels being the retina. Depending on their findings, they may need to test for the above concerns or start her on pain relief (since increased pressure can make the eye sore) and treatment to reduce her sign for her. And if we can nip this in the bud, then we'd expect to see the side redness reduce and the blood in the eye dissipate with time.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just following up on previously asked question on Ponsonby' red & cloudy eye. Just noticed today, no history of eye trauma or injury & still eating & drinking but seems a little off- this cld b me just being paranoid tho.
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Hi again, I received your reply when you posted and replied at 1030am GMT.

Did you receive this?

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Just in case you didn't, here is what I said before:

Please take care,

Dr. B.