Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have helped a possible stray in the past with some wounds

Customer Question

We have helped a possible stray in the past with some wounds that had abscessed, in the winter. Then we didn't see him for a while. A week ago he was again on the doorstep dehydrated, starving and unable to bare any weight on his right front leg. Which was swollen visibly from the left, the elbow/knee was a ball shape and the shoulder was up and pushed or held towards the back. He had small nics through head and shoulders from old fights. He was in visible pain, breathing through his mouth. After he had eaten and drank, I gave him a safe place to rest while I gently checked him over. His abdomen seems to been distorted in a ball towards the rear. So that instead of all the food he just ate being shown as a even sloping round full tummy, it is flat behind his shoulder and then it sharply angles up to a mass and down again. I would guess that he has been kicked brutally, or hit by a car in such a way that knocked him clear. That was Thursday. My neighbor and I tried to arrange help through vets, SPCA, or Alley Cats to help out or at least let us make payments to help this cat. Wow! No one cares. So the swelling has gone down, he still can't weight bear, but today there is slight movement in the leg and he seems more comfortable. We found a vet that will at least look at him, but has already said it probably needs the leg amputated and should therefore be euthanized because we couldn't pay for that. First, I have cared for many animals over the years. This cat is so greatfull. He is in pain, he is wild, but he is aware and purrs and pushes his head into your hands. He knows he needs help.
I know you can't see what is going on internally, but there must be a few things you could suggest or imply rather than death. I hold you to no legal binding. Just ask for help.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please, I have charged $48 I don't have to my credit card to get information that will hopefully help decide the fate of a cats life by morning. It is over an hour since I asked my question. My neighbors mother will take Lynx to the Vet in 8 hours. If he shrugs and says the leg should come off, the cat will be euthanized. This is a good cat, I have found a home for him. If someone cared to rehabilitate him (me) could the leg be fine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's been 4 hours, it's 3am, the cat is being picked up by 9. I'd really like my money back. I payed through PayPal and was not given a $5 option. I had to pay the full $48 to ask my question. To me if I had been given prompt detailed information on the types of injuries that he may have sustained it would have been worth it. I have a medical background and am familiar with bones, muscles, tendons, nerves and their pathologies. How it applies to the mechanics of a cat is what I needed. Thank you for taking my money and providing nothing. Please return it to me so I can at least apply it to the cats vet bill.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Impressive! 30minutes to refund my money. Someone's listening. Yet not one note on options to try and save a cats life. Where's Dr. House when you need him. Thank you for sending my funds back so quickly. It's one less worry.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Hello Crystal,

Bless you for caring about this sweet boy. The poor baby is obviously not feral. Most likely someones discarded, former pet!

I am so sorry your question was not answered in a timely manner.

Could you please let me know what happened with him? I really care.........

Love,

Terri