Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

He wasn't cleaning s so we had to wash off s in the sink

Customer Question

He wasn't cleaning his butt so we had to wash off his butt in the sink with mild soap. Now his an us is red and he squeals in pain randomly
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Duke is 4
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?
Customer: He's a healthy long haired cat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am sorry to hear that Duke is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

This is something we see from time to time with a long hair cat. To help prevent this in the future you can clip the hair under his tail ( around the rectum with human hair clippers. If he will not allow you to do that yourself any groomer or vets office can do what is called a sanitary clip.

When stool gets stuck in the hair the rectum can end up raw and very irritated. In these cases we just have the owner rinse the area twice daily with a wound wash such as chlorhex and then apply a little neosporine. This will normally fix the problem in 2-3 days.

If you do not notice any change with at home care or he has trouble passing stool then I would have him checked by your vet to make sure prescription medication is not needed.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 months ago.

Hello . I just wanted to check in and see how Duke was doing and see if I could be of additional assistance.

If no further assistance is required please take a few minutes to provide a rating to finish out our session.