Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Weepy eyes. Only 101.8 temp, very lethargic, little

Customer Question

Weepy eyes. Only 101.8 temp, very lethargic, little strength. Not interested in treat time, can't jump to get to his food
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Frankie blu-eyes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frankie?
Customer: Normally very playful, indoor and outdoor cat. 1 yr old, has all vaccinations
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

I am sorry Frankie is not feeling well. However, a cats temp is normal at 100 - 102.5 so he does not have a fever.

Rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into his gums to raise his blood sugar in case he is hypoglycemic.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let him lap it up for hydration.If he does, offer some tuna.Feed ery odorous food so he can easily smell them and will keep eating. Canne food, tuna or baby food.

Apply a damp teabag to his weepy eyes. He may have a cold or an allergy.

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri