Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat is pregnant. She delivered her first kitten which was

Customer Question

My cat is pregnant. She delivered her first kitten which was fully developed but didn't make it. I took her to the vet and they have her a shot of oxytocin. She hasn't had another kitten and we are peaking on 4 hours. She's having contractions. Is there a possibility her other kittens are alive? How long does it take for her to deliver with this shot? I'm right on cash and can't pay 750 for a c section
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: No that's all. She's a indoor cat.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry that you lost that first little kitten. : (

The oxytocin brings on contractions, but sometimes there are several hours between kittens. If she was mated by more than one male at different times during her estrus cycle, the kittens could be days apart. The cat's uterus contains two 'horns' and not all kittens are ready to be born at the same time, in some cases.

Are you still at the vet or did they give her the shot of oxytocin and send you home?

The exam given by the vet should have been able to tell if there are remaining kittens who are still alive.

Here is additional information about feline pregnancy, labor and delivery:

http://www.2ndchance.info/felinelabor.htm

---------

I understand your financial bind at this time, but she may need a C section if she's not progressing normally with a vaginal delivery and/or if any of the kittens or your mom-cat is in any distress. Try applying for Care Credit to enable you to pay for a C section, if necessary, or ask your vet if you can pay out the remainder of the fee in installments. If you've been going to this vet for a while, they might agree. Here is information on Care Credit:

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

--------

I hope all will be well with your cat and her litter and please let me know how things are going. Thanks!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how things are going and if your kitty delivered the rest of her litter and all is well.

Please let me know what ended up happening and how your mom-cat and any kittens are doing, now.

I hope you found my answer helpful and if so, please take a moment to select a positive rating. Thank you so much.

If you have any further questions, please just click reply before or after rating and I will always be here to help you.

I hope all is well!

Warmest wishes,

Cher