Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He's 16 and diabetic. s box by in large is normal, but he's

Customer Question

he's 16 and diabetic. His box by in large is normal, but he's started going in a couple specific places in the house, and what comes out is clear and somewhat sticky. He's been to the vet twice and neither time detected a UTI
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the cat has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry Charlie is having trouble.

Does he take insulin?

How long have you noticed this sticky urine?

What does he eat?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he gets 2 units each morning and evening with his food. I'm feeding him PetSelect from the refrigerator section (soft pellets)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he's been to the vet twice with this issue. Neither time was a UTI the issue.
Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

The sticky urine is pretty common in diabetic cats.

It can be caused by too much protein or carbs in the urine or a PH imbalance.

He may have interstitial cystitis which is a UTI with no bacteria seen upon exam

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

Please read articles written by a feline vet:

www.catinfo.org

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes

Give Charlie 4 drops of unsweetened cranberry juice (by dropper) every day for ten days.

Consider the raw diet on Dr. Pierson's website.

Please let me know if the stickiness disappears after the cranberry juice treatment.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri