nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

My cat is bleeding from s rectum and he keeps going in the

Customer Question

Hi I'm Joyce , my cat is bleeding from his rectum and he keeps going in the cat box . He doesn't look good. Won't come to me when I call him. Something is wrong.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: I accidentally fell on him. And he started bleeding
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much blood are you seeing? A spoonful, more or less?

Is it dripping out or just when he strains in the box?

Can you confirm that he is passing urine normally?

What does his stool look like?

Does he appear tender if you press on his belly (especially back between the back legs)?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
More than a spoon each time he sits down blob is on the floor about a half spoon.every thing was ok it just started. After I accidentally fell on him. And it seem like he's having a hard time breath
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He keep trying to use the bathroom
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear,

I have to say I am quite concerned about lad.

If he has been fallen on (which is essentially a blunt force trauma) and is now struggling to breathe and straining in the box passing blood each time he goes; then we have an emergency situation. His signs in the box are more fitting with a urinary blockage but it is possible that we have damage (even rupture) of the bladder, urethral spasm from the stress of this situation, and/or damage to the intestines from this trauma. As well, we cannot rule out further internal injuries (damaged organs, ruptured diaphragm or bleeding into the lungs --both of which would affect his bleeding).

Therefore, if he was my patient, I'd want him seen now. We'd want the local vet to check the bladder and intestine to make sure they are not damaged. Cat safe pain relief would need to be started immediately and if is breathing is elevated, he may need to be put onto oxygen for the short term.

Overall, all of his signs are very worrying and are ones that tend to be seen with urgent issues like trauma and blockage. Therefore, this is a situation where there is unfortunately not much one can do at home and we'd want to have him seen without delay.In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER, you can check @ or via

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?