Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She has lost a bit of weight and her sides are heaving. But

Customer Question

She has lost a bit of weight and her sides are heaving. But she's still got her appetite and her toileting seems normal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Roxy. She's 12 and has only three legs after an amputation 6 years ago
JA: Did Roxy have a fall?
Customer: Recently? Not that I'm aware of
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: That's about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry Roxy is showing some unusual symptoms that have you worried.

It sounds like she's doing well since the amputation, though! Cats are so adaptable! : )

Senior cats are more prone to develop medical conditions like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, liver and kidney issues and these can cause weight loss, in addition to other conditions. Because her sides are heaving, it sound like she's not taking in enough oxygen and is having difficulty breathing. Unfortunately, there's no home remedy for what you describe, so it's important to have Roxy seen by a vet, asap.

I strongly suggest that you bring her to a nearby ER vet center, now, so she can be evaluated in person and diagnosed, then, she can be treated.

With older cats, you really need to check everything out and catch anything that may be brewing, quickly, so it can be treated and she can feel better.

I hope all will be well with your Roxy and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?