Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is very inactive the last two days and now just keeps

Customer Question

My cat is very inactive the last two days and now just keeps sitting in the litter box...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: I have a male cat. He is not very interested in eating. Very inactive the last two days. Is now sitting in the litter box a lot...
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gotham
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gorham?
Customer: That's all... He has all his shots and is about two years old...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Gotham is unwell. I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

​Has Gotham been able to produce any urine or faeces while sitting in the litter box?

​Does he appear to be straining, crying, or licking his bottom area? Any blood in his urine?

Is he desexed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is fixed. He appears to have urinated at least a little. I don't believe there is any blood. He does lift his legs like he is about to lick himself but then doesn't most of the time... But he is doing it a bit often...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He doesn't give any indication that he is in pain...
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 5 months ago.

Okay. I am quite concerned that your cat may have a urinary obstruction, which is quite a common condition in young male cats. My own cat had the same issue only last year.

​It is the urethra in the penis that becomes blocked with a plug of either urinary crystals or inflammatory cells, or a combination of both. It stops urine from being passed and leads to kidney damage and eventually bladder rupture, followed by sudden death if untreated.

I would urge you to get him to your local vet ASAP (as in now), so that they can sedate and unblock him.