Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner
94516894

She was sleeping on the back of the couch. She woke up out

Customer Question

She was sleeping on the back of the couch. She woke up out of the blue and started backing up and growling. Then she hissed and got down. She kept growling and moaning for another minute or two and then walked into the other room. I went to check on her and she kept moving away from me. Now she is back to begging for food and being lazy. Should I be concerned? Do cats have bad dreams or something?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She was recently (2 weeks ago) treated for lung inflammation. The vet gave her a steroid shot that seemed to help. The x-rays were clearing up during the followup.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** will do my best to help with your question.

​Animals can certainly wake up from a fright and act threatened until they realise that there is no threat. Although no one can say for sure that animals have dreams, I don't believe there is any reason why they wouldn't. Therefore I think a bad dream is quite a plausible theory. If this happened every single day I would investigate further.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I be concerned that she is trying to hide in out of the way places?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

Is she still behaving abnormally now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is still begging for food and being friendly when I come over to her but she is still sitting on odd places.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

Okay sure. Do you remember if the vet told you if the steroid they gave was a long acting one or a short acting one?​ Any signs of the original lung issues, difficulty breathing?

Has she been able to go to the toilet normally?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Long acting one. I haven't caught her coughing or wheezing since we got back from the vet.I did notice a drip of cat poo on the floor last night that was reddish. Not sure if it was blood though. Is that pretty obvious? I've since checked her box and it has had both forms of excrement in it. She hasn't gone in the last few hours though.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She also does this annoying thing sometimes where instead of cleaning herself like most cats, she rubs her butt on the floor. Twice in the last two days.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

The rubbing of her bottom may indicate some irritation around that area, either originating from inflammation of the rectum/anus, intestinal worms or full anal glands. It may be worth having her examined to determine the cause. If she hasn't been up to date with deworming treatment, then it would be worth doing that also.

​Blood in faeces ranges from very obvious to no visible at all, depending on how much there is and where in the gastrointestinal tract the blood came from. The more high up (towards the stomach) the more digested the blood becomes and harder to see. Usually you would notice some other signs of abdominal discomfort such as hunching, vomiting, inappetance or diarrhoea if there is a problem.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hmm she's eating and drinking water. Vomiting no more than the occasional hairball. Worth having her seen but not vet ER?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

With the steroid, some animals will have some altered mood and behaviour. This doesn't happen commonly, but I have seen aggression in some pets that have started a course of steroids, that has then resolved when the steroids are ceased.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

Yes, I think worth being seen but not an emergency issue.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, I think I can work with that. I'll call our regular vet in the morning. Would you say it is pretty urgent to get her in or just within their normal schedule? They should have regular time Friday ish if all is normal.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

I think sometime this week would be fine. If signs get worse for some reason, obviously it would be better to get her in sooner.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thanks for all of your help!
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

No worries. Glad to help.

If you don't mind, could you please give my answer a rating at the top of this page? Otherwise the website will not reimburse me for my time. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Chris