Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

He has fluid in s lungs with labored breathing and an

Customer Question

he has fluid in his lungs with labored breathing and an enlarged liver. he is about 18. at 16 he had a rabies shot which messed him up. i have him on natural things. is it safe to drain his lungs?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: pasha
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pasha?
Customer: how much is this service?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitty. Has she had any testing done yet to determine the cause of the fluid in her chest? Has she had an x-ray to confirm the fluid? If the fluid is in the lungs themselves (pulmonary edema), this isn't a fluid that can really be drained with a needle. Sometimes putting an animal or a diuretic may help remove some of the fluid, depending on the cause. Pleural effusion is fluid that is in the pleural space/chest cavity surrounding the lungs, and this fluid can be drained off to make breathing easier.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they did do an xray. i'm not sure which one it is. the vet said she could try and drain the fluidd so maybe it's pleural effusion. am calling the vet now. i have him on bone broth and wheat grass (the juice).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's pleural effusion. the procedure sounds dangerous to a frail cat. and expensive. is there a natural way i can address this? might the wheatgrass help?
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

If the vet said they could try to drain the fluid, they must suspect that at least some of it is pleural effusion. Draining the fluid (called thoracocentesis) can definitely provide relief if your cat is having trouble breathing and the fluid is in the pleural space. There are different things that can cause this fluid buildup, including heart failure, low protein (can be due to kidney, liver, intestinal disorders), infections, changes in lymphatic drainage, cancer, chylothorax, and more. Analyzing the fluid may help determine the cause of the fluid build up, which can give you more information on prognosis and treatment options. Unfortunately in an older cat, many of these are not going to be things we can completely cure, and not things that are cheaply treated. Here is an article with some some information for you: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/pleural-effusion-in-cats/324

There is no real natural remedy for this problem unfortunately, and if your kitty is really having trouble breathing, you may be faced with the tough decision of deciding to go ahead with the procedure, or euthanizing her to ease her suffering. Struggling to breath is not a pleasant experience and it is not going to improve without medical intervention.

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your cat. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your kitty.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay, thanks. if i get the chest drain done, what are the chances it will come back again? the vet seems to think a few days to a month. but i can start giving him supplements for cancer like life gold. the herbal pills she gave me are terrible to give him. i put them in a pill crusher and they don't powder. then when i try and give the cat liquid he does that horrible breathing again. he responds well to nutrical, though it's full of junk like corn syrup.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.

It truly will depend on the underlying cause of the fluid and your kitty. Your vet is correct, the problem may return within a week, or it could be weeks or a month before. It truly is going to depend on what the cause for the problem is. Does your vet have any idea yet from the x-rays or your kitty's history? The fluid that they remove will help give more information as well, as to the underlying cause.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Another question. I had the fluid drained last night. At about 5am we got home and he was happy and purring. At about 5 or 6 in afternoon he started again w labored breathing. Got bad by 9pm. So now i am back here again getting it done again. I hope it works better this time. Could it last longer this time? They said they drained alot the first time. I hope the second time works longer. Have appt w vet at 11am thurs. It is 11pm weds and am waiting for 2nd procedure. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, i would like to ask more questions? how does this work? thanks