Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Have already had Maggie to her vet 3 times, but she still

Customer Question

Have already had Maggie to her vet 3 times, but she still has diarrhea and sneezes.
JA: Huh?
Customer: Have changed little for sneezing a couple times. Changed to a really good food. It has become a real problem that she leaves a mess wherever so goes! It`s unsanitary! Love her dearly, she is very shy, but a sweetheart. I hate seeing her sick.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Maggie is about10-11 mons
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: She came to me this way, I felt so sorry for her. Brought her home w/another cat the same age, Tess- turns out she is a Russian Grey. That didn`t matter, just fell in love w/her personality! anyway Tess is fine. Maggie is on the thin side, but her vet said that is just the way she is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry Maggie has had so much trouble.

Can you please tell me what foods she eats?

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

It seems Maggie has two issues which may be allergy related.

Sneezing can be caused by upper respiratory virus or allergy.

Diarrhea is usually diet related which can be due to food allergies.

First, her stool should be tested at a lab (not in house) for coccidia, giardia and other parasites.

If Maggie's main protein source is poultry I want that changed to a novel protein like beef, fish, lamb, rabbit or venison.

Begin feeding wet or baby food with one of thee proteins. Add a tablespoon of rice cereal made for infants.

She also needs an antihistamine daily.

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

In addition, add 250 mg of l-lysine to her water every day or get these:

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,