Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Cat vomited s supper 2 days ago. Then he was

Customer Question

Cat vomited his supper 2 days ago. Then he was listless--staying in one place and sleeping a lot. Didn't want to eat. He did use the cat box, so it's not his bladder. Seems to be uncoordinated and clumsy--staggers sometimes. Today, though, he was hungry and interested in birds outside the window--also played with a ball briefly. Seemed more alert. But he is still staggering and not himself. Had no access to poisons. Couldn't get him to a vet because it was the weekend (when I work).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cat ate?
Customer: When I went to work Saturday I left him a little dry food (so it wouldn't go bad). It was gone this morning, and he was hungry. He doesn't have access to any plants, either. This morning I gave him a little wet food before I went to work, and more when I got home. He ate it. He seemed to want to play, but is not coordinated.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: He's only four. Usually very active and hungry. I adopted him two years ago from a shelter and he had a clean bill of health. My older cat died last month (she was 20) but he didn't seem to notice her disappearance. He gets mostly soft food.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My heartfelt condolences on the recent passing of your older girl. I'm sure you gave a wonderful life!

Regarding your 4 year old male, it sounds like he's improved compared to 2 days ago, but if he is still unsteady on his feet, he may have a condition called vestibular syndrome. This is usually caused by an infection or other disturbance in the middle or inner ear. The vestibular system controls balance and equilibrium, so if something is off in that area, it will make a cat feel dizzy, not be able to walk straight and very often the dizziness will lead to nausea.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

-------------

The fact that he is hungry and is eating without any more vomiting, is great, in addition to him wanting to play a little bit. However, he does need to be seen by the vet in person so you can get a diagnosis and treatment. Try to get him in, tomorrow, since you're off and don't have work.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.

Warmest regards,
Cher