Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

My cat has been diagnosed with asthma. (2013 lung was full

Customer Question

my cat has been diagnosed with asthma. (2013 lung was full of fluid and and they aspirated with tube to drain) recently, He had a little bit of a runny nose (white mucous) and no sneezing and the weather was very muggy. He is now having a hard time breathing and vet prescribed Prednisone...*I have some older prednisolone in the fridge. I have giving him 2 half doses of the prednisone and prefer giving him the prednisolone. is it ok to mix give the later after the 2 prednisone doses?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Spunky....he is about 4+ years
JA: How old is Spunky?
Customer: 4.5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spunky?
Customer: He is not eating since Friday night. He will take a little honey and water and he is drinking.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Spunky. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I would choose the prednisolone over prednisone; some cats do not metabolize prednisone. It would be safe to switch to prednisolone after giving the two half doses of prednisone. Cats are pretty resistant to the side effects of these steroids.

How much are you giving, in milligrams (mg)?

Good he is drinking. Try to get him to take milk, broth, or tuna juice if he will drink.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer for you.