Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

She has a string of saliva hanging from her mouth. : Spots

Customer Question

She has a long string of saliva hanging from her mouth.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Spots and she is about 10 yrs. Mostly indoor cat. goes in the backyard and hangs with our chickens every now and then.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spots?
Customer: She is over weight.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Will she let you look in her mouth? Any problems noted with her appetite? Can you tell if she has an odor coming from her mouth?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No Oder coming from her mouth. She is a bit nauseated. Have not noticed appetite issues

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does she like to catch critters such as mice, rats, squirrels, etc? The most common causes for excessive salivation in cats could include something she ate that was unpleasant, or if she is having dental issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. That would be too much effort c

Will she let you look in her mouth at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her mouth looks fine.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi Customer, thanks for your question. It looks like Dr. Alleyne was unable to continue assisting you. Each professional signs on and off during the day, so its likely that they were unable to continue due to this reason. I've stepped in to assist you.

I apologize about the extra questions, but I'd like some additional info if possible.

Has Spots ever had a dental cleaning? If so, when was this done?
Does she normally eat kibble or canned food?
Is she still eating and drinking well?
Has she ever lost any teeth?
Is she on any medication at this time?
Any history of illness?