Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My kitten has been getting into everything in my apartment.

Customer Question

My kitten has been getting into everything in my apartment. Climbing on top of things, my dresser, climbing into the bathtub, on top of kitchen counter. I saw her jump off my counter and when she landed she stood in the same place without moving. Now she is limping. She's not crying or anything. But she is but her usual self after the landing. I do not see any unusual lumps or bleeding or anything like that. But she's not walking with hind legs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?
Customer: She's about 8 weeks old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear that your young kitten hurt herself.

When she jumped down from a height, she may have landed too hard or her legs may have twisted in the wrong direction and she caused a sprain or a strain. However, there's also the chance of a hairline fracture of the paw, leg, or hip, so because of her young age and her limping and seeming to be in pain, it would be advisable to have her evaluated in person by a vet, immediately. Some imaging, like an x-ray, may be necessary to reveal the extent of the damage.

Hopefully, it will be something minor, which a few days of rest will take care of. You'll most likely need to keep her in a large kennel with food, water, litterbox, cat bed, to keep her immobile until she heals. She will not like her 'freedom' taken away, but it's for her own good.

Young kittens do love to jump up on everything and also knock things down, so clear off all your breakables and sentimental items from the places she likes to jump up onto and also, train her not to go up there. You can put large tins or empty cereal boxes on high shelves, the top of the fridge, etc., to block her from jumping up there.

For now, though, it's important that she's seen by a vet in person to let you know the diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.

I hope all will be well with your little furry girl!

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm just following up with you on the condition of your kitten. I hope she's doing better and was able to be seen by a vet, if her hind legs continued to give her trouble. Please let me know what the vet's findings were, if you brought her in.

Also, please be so kind as to let me know if you found my answer helpful and select a positive rating so I may receive credit from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much.

This question thread will always remain open to you, if you have further questions about this issue. There is no additional charge for follow-ups.

I hope your kitty will be fine!

Warmest regards,