PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

He took 800 mg of ibuprofen : He doesn't seem to be sick

Customer Question

He took 800 mg of ibuprofen
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: He doesn't seem to be sick however. Gave him two tsp of 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. Two doses ten minutes apart and he hasn't vomited yet.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: He ate an 800 mg of ibuprofen that my granddaughter left on the desk
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Coda. Age is one year. Very healthy cat
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about CODA?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Good evening, Customer. Thanks for your question.

I do not wish to alarm you, but Coda is in grave danger. Ibuprofen is not only extremely toxic to cats but he has ingested more than double the amount needed to cause kidney failure. Vomiting is also very difficult to induce at home. I would gather Coda up immediately and go right to the closest ER facility that can see you promptly. This is not a case where we'd want to wait to see if Coda vomits the tablet up. He needs emergency therapy right now.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?