Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

About a month and a half ago a stray kitten appeared on my

Customer Question

About a month and a half ago a stray kitten appeared on my porch and decided she didn't want to leave lol...being an animal lover I took her in. A couple weeks later she was showing signs of being pregnant, around 530 this evening she started delivering still born underdeveloped fetuses...she delivered 3 and then went about as usual and ate and drank and even wanted to go outside. Tonight at around 1045 she started contracting and has delivered 2 more...how long can a miscarriage in a cat take and how will I know when she's done and if she's ok afterward
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Roo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rui?
Customer: No she's been in good health and she's very affectionate..I'm just worried about if she will be ok and how long this process should take...I read online that a cat labor can take anywhere from 2 - 6 hrs but it's been longer than that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Roo is having an abnormal pregnancy, labor and delivery, with underdeveloped, stillborn kittens.

While it is true that most normal litters are delivered in a relatively short period of time as long as the queen stays in active labor (pushing and consistently delivering kittens) her labor has not been a normal one. And it sounds like her active labor was interrupted for a period of time when she relaxed, ate and drank. Even some cats with normal labor and delivery processes will take a break for a period of time. As long as the labor stops completely (no contractions or pushing) and the cat is comfortable, and the labor resumes within a 24 hour period it is still considered normal.

It is hard to say whether your girl has more kittens or not, or whether she is done. As long as she is not uncomfortable and constantly straining with no kitten being delivered you can take a watch and see approach.

My concern for your girl is why she aborted her kittens late term.

It's possible that this was secondary to a viral or bacterial infection, poor early nutrition, or exposure to a toxin before she came to you.

But the long term concerns for this would be an immunosuppressive virus infection (feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus) or a bacterial infection in the uterus called a pyometra.

For now you can just watch her closely over the next 24 hours. 5 kittens is a good sized litter so she may well be done.

But I would recommend that she be tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses, and if she stops eating, has a purulent vaginal discharge or runs a high fever then she should be seen by a veterinarian as that may indicate a bacterial uterine infection.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****