Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Female calico about 15 year had runny nose, eyes, sneezing

Customer Question

Female calico about 15 year had runny nose, eyes, sneezing about month or so ago. Vet put on antibiotic. Seemed to help for a while. Eats OK, and not lethargic or otherwise bothered. But has developed fairly loud and consistant rattling sound when beathing for past several days. Cannot afford to keep paying vet.Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for your question about BB.

It sounds, from your description, like she might have had an upper respiratory infection a month ago, which is viral, like the human cold, but many vets will prescribe an antibiotic to try to prevent secondary infections. it's also possible that she has the feline herpes virus (FHV-1), which is not related to the human herpes virus. This causes the same upper respiratory symptoms and eye infections, as URI's. Giving her some Lysine may help. They make special formulations for cats:

http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html

---------

The rattling sound you hear in her chest over the past several days, may indicate that the URI has moved down into her chest and/or she may have developed bronchitis or feline asthma. Listen to her chest with your ear and see if you hear any wheezing upon exhale. That would indicate asthma.

I realize the vet bills are getting expensive, but she may have a bronchial or lung infection (pneumonia) which needs to be diagnosed in person. A chest x-ray may be necessary and then she will be prescribed the most appropriate medication.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/cat_disorders_and_diseases/lung_and_airway_disorders_of_cats/tracheobronchitis_bronchitis_bronchial_asthma_in_cats.html

-----------

For the moment, you can run a humidifier in the rooms she occupies most, and this may help with congestion.

I'm sure you prefer your own vet, but if there's a VCA Animal Hospital near you (they're nationwide), they offer a downloadable coupon for a free first visit for new patients:

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

At least this will cover the office visit, but any imaging or medication will be extra.

I hope all will be well with BB!

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit from the website for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Before or even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Warmest wishes,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bb. How is everything going?
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I'm just following up with you to see how BB is feeling. I hope you have seen an improvement in her symptoms!

Please let me know if you need any additional information or if not, please select a positive rating from the ratings box on your page, so I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you so much!

Warmest regards,

Cher