Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

We are taking care of a stray cat, and today I noticed that

Customer Question

We are taking care of a stray cat, and today I noticed that his 3rd eyelid will not open all the way. His eyes are not red and he has no drainage from his eyes. His body feels a little hot and he cries if you pet his back. He is not coughing or sneezing. He isn't moving around as much as he normally does. is there any kind of medicine I can by over the counter to help his eyes?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Bless you for taking care of Garfield!I guess hes an orange kitty.

Is he eating? What food?

Has he been wormed?

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Hi Jane,

The third eyelid appears in times of pain, stress or illness. It can also show up due to worms.

Garfield may have a fever. Normal is 100 - 102.5 for a cat.

If he has a fever, apply a cold compress (not ice) to his tummy and pads.

You can get excel or profender and worm him yourself.

Apply a damp teabag to the affected eye. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let him lap it up for hydration. If he does, offer some tuna.

Please let me know how Garfield is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Garfield. How is everything going?