Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My cat is 8. All of a sudden, over the weekend, her back

Customer Question

My cat is 8. All of a sudden, over the weekend, her back legs are wobbly. Believe she has no pain, she eats and drinks ok but walks really low.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: I have no idea but she does climb.
JA: It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Sam. No pain tho.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: No. She is an outdoor cat. Very street smart. She comes into the house when it gets cold. We live in CA and it is hot now and she loves outside.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry Sam is not feeling well.

Is she spayed

Does she have any known health issues or take any medication?

Do her legs feel cold or have blue nail beds?

Does she seem dizzy or nauseated?

What and when did she eat last?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Teri, yes my cat is spade. She has no known health condition and she is not on meds. She does not have cold legs, she does not seem dizzy or nauseated. She comes and goes when she eats and drinks. She seems to be favor her right leg.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. It is possible Sam fell or injured her leg, back or neck.

Sometimes we see leg weakness with a disc or vertebra injury.

Since she IS still eating and drinking, she has a good chance to heal up if she stays indoors for a couple of days.

Apply cold compresses (not ice) to her back and neck. 5 minutes on and 15 off for an hour. Then switch to warm compresses some duration. Do another hour with the one that gives her the most relief.

Give her some milk to drink in case her potassium is low.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl. Offer it to her to replace her electrolytes.

If she stops eating, her leg swells or she cannot walk she should be seen.

Please let me know how Sam is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,