PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My cat has been on acyclovir and doxycycline to treat s

Customer Question

My cat has been on acyclovir and doxycycline to treat his opaque eyes..the eyes have cleared up but he lost his appetite and he doesn't drink water as well. I'm giving liv 52 which doesn't seems to have major effect..I was prescribed periactin but he throws up his stomach contents after giving periactin and he eats after a while..I want to know what is wrong..can I give periactin in this case..if so for how long?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: He was tested antigen negative for FeLv and antibody negative for fiv. He is approximately 3 months old..a month ago he came down with fever and his eyes were turning foggy..his appetite still was okay but went down a little in last one month. But now he doesn't show any interest in eating or drinking. He doesnt have any signs of runny nose ,cough or fever. These days I find his rectum a little sore. Pls help.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No.He didn't eat anything apart from his food. But he had a habit of suckling on the floor mat made of fibers..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) When did the vomiting begin?
2) How old is your cat?
3) When was his last normal meal that was held down?
4) How much longer is his regimen of medication for the doxy? acyclovir?
5) Is the doxy a slurry? pill? capsule?
6) How often are you giving it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He doesn't vomit. He only vomits once as soon as I give him periactin as he is not eating.My cat nitro is a three month old kitten.
His normal meal was five days ago.
He is supposed to take his medication for two more weeks.
Doxycycline in the form of paste is being given 0.1 mg twice a day and acyclovir 20 mg twice a day.

Thank you for the clarification.

Doxycycline is likely the culprit here on causing him to not want to eat. This medication is known to cause GI upsets in cats and part of the reason it's compounded into a paste for you is its propensity for causing ulcers, especially in the esophagus when pills are given. The periactin is used to stimulate appetite, but it does nothing for nausea.

The fact that Nitro hasn't eaten normally in the last 5 days also gives us concern for impending liver issues if he's not placed back on track quickly. I would talk to your vet about adding in a medication for nausea such as an anti-emetic. Part of the problem with continued dosing of these meds when he's not eating well is that it will only worsen what's going on in the GI tract, making him feel even less like eating.

Your vet may also want to add in a GI protectant or switch antibiotics. In the meanwhile, I would try to mix some pure canned pumpkin with canned food that he likes to see if he will intake a few bites of this to help coat his GI tract and hopefully help calm it down. If not, you may need to resort to having your vet intervene medically to address his symptoms.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.