nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

The cat got to the phenobarbital a half of a pill. total

Customer Question

the cat got to the phenobarbital a half of a pill. total dose taken 8.1. as pill dose of 16.2 was cut in half. The medicine is prescribed to our dog for seizures. So the 1 year old cat grabbed from under dog and ate. It happened so fast. Our vet office is closed. Will the cat be okay?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did Max eat this?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He ate it a half hour ago. Weight about 10 lbs.
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Max's weight does work in our favour, since this would be a low dose in a cat his size. Therefore, we may actually see no signs of issue with this but could see short term sedation, lethargy, wobbliness, and elevated appetite/thirst.

With this in mind and since he has had this so recently, we have a few options. First, we could err on the side of caution and induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 0.5 ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we can choose to just monitor him for those aforementioned signs. And if he did become very sedate (though again less likely since he is thankfully a big lad), then we could have him to the local vet for IV fluids and symptomatic care to flush the drug from his system quicker. Just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay thanks. I will watch him. he seems fine. Acting normally. My vet opens at 7:30 will call then. thanks for help.
Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a good plan of action.

Al the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet