PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have an 8 week old kitten who received from a home, never

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 8 week old kitten who received from a home, never had a cat before only dogs and we were told that was a normal age to take the if they are fully weaned which she was. She was on hard food and playful, 3 days into being with us she developed diarrhea but has never been lethargic. I'm a nurse so I have tried tons of home remedies to help but nothing. I switched her to a healthier food after it started, added KMR back into her diet (because she started to nurse off my labs), and she continues to have diarrhea and an enlarged anus. Help? I live in a small town with no access to a vet until Tuesday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Izzy. She is not lethargic.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzo?
Customer: That's all the info.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) How long have you had this kitten?
2) When did the diarrhea begin?
3) Are you feeding her the same food she was eating at the time of rehoming?
4) What have you tried at home?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is barely 3lbs and Just under 2 weeks. It has been going on for 11 days. When she was rehomed we had her on the same food which was Iams Kitten Chow, Nurture and the diarrhea started when she was on that, we bought the same kitty litter and everything she had at the other home. I didn't switch the food until days after the diarrhea started and now she has Blue Buffalo Kitten food and KMR kitten milk replacement twice daily.I have tried keeping her anus clean with antiseptic, I tried Diogel I purchased online, A & D ointment.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has never been lethargic or tired, she seems like it's starting to get the best of her but she continues to drink water and the milk replacement with ease and excitement.

Have you had her examined and a fecal examination performed yet? This is typically the first approach that we make when pets are having issues with diarrhea, especially at such a young age. That would be one of the first approaches that I would make. She's old enough to also have acquired intestinal protozoan like giardia which may be causing the profuse diarrhea, as well.

You can certainly add in a probiotic like Fortiflora to help balance any GI flora imbalances caused by stress, too.

It sounds like you're doing what's necessary as far as the diet goes, too. Make sure to keep her at least on the Blue Buffalo kitten and try not to switch her until the diarrhea can be diagnosed and cleared. She may need to go on GI antibiotics like compounded metronidazole to help clear the diarrhea, too.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I have not taken her to the vet for it, it has not gotten worse until this weekend (which happens to be a holiday). Is it okay to continue with this treatment until the vet can see her?