Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My male kitten seems to be walking with s back legs

Customer Question

My male kitten seems to be walking with his back legs together, almost bow legged.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I just checked and there doesn't seem to be. I've noticed it's like he is holding his ankles close
JA: What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Cat :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: He has a bad eye that a vet has checked out and said is ok. He's good eye drained a little pink when I wiped it earlier :/
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm sorry your kitten is exhibiting symptoms which are worrying you.

How old is he?

When you say he has a 'bad' eye, what do you mean?

Did the vet put him on any antibiotics for his eye, in the way of drops or ointment?

Is he eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally?

When you say he's walking with his ankles together, is he moving each foot independently of each other?

When you touch his hind paws, pads, legs, does he seem to be in any pain?

Did you look between his toes and check his claws for any sores or discoloration/injury?

Thanks for all your additional information. Please allow me some time to answer, once you have replied.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's 4 and a half months.He had eye trauma and a stuck third eyelid when I got him. The vet did some eye work when I got him neutered to try to help it
open, it has.The vet gave us an eye ointment but I believe she said it was a steroid.Yes he seems fine and plays.Yes he's walking normal.No he doesn't seem to be in any pain.Yes I looked with a flashlight and it seems fine :/
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was also an an anti viral gel and a milky antibiotic
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hi again, and thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

I'm glad to hear that Cat's eye condition was alleviated by the vet and he's now on the steroid ointment. That's to help prevent swelling and inflammation. The fact that you saw a little blood in some discharge from his 'good eye' should be checked out by the vet, just to make sure nothing is happening which could cause a problem in that eye.

If the anti-viral gel was for his eye and he was also on an oral antibiotic, the vet wanted to cover all bases re: infection and the anti-viral eye gel is often used in cases of feline herpes virus (not like human herpes, so don't worry). It usually has symptoms of upper respiratory infections and typically does affect the eyes. Once a cat has it, (he could have been born with it), it's for life, but symptoms won't be apparent all the time, but there will be 'flare-ups,' which could be caused by stress.

Re: his hind legs, this is quite strange; is he by any chance a polydactyl cat (having more than the normal number of toes on each foot)? Sometimes, there are injuries or birth defects that can cause damage or weakness (ataxia) to the hips and cause a cat to walk abnormally with his hind legs. As he grows, the bones or ligaments in his legs/feet may not be growing at the same pace.

This definitely needs an in-person evaluation by the vet, to get a diagnosis (and treatment, if needed) on his hind legs. It may be nothing or only something minor, but in case it turns out to be more serious, try to have him seen, asap.

I hope all will be well with your little furry boy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are re: his legs and his 'good' eye. Also, ask about the herpes virus.

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with your kitty. I hope things are improving!

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so, please let me know. If you need any additional information, please simply click 'Reply' and I will be glad to help you further.

I look forward to hearing back from you and/or receiving a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated by the site for my assistance.

Many thanks!
Cher