Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Cat just acquired ataxia - is there help or is this the end?

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?
Customer: Wobbly gait. Fell off the bed. Moaning really loud.
JA: Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Don't know - he's outdoors a lot.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: Not really - he is very active usually.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with this guy. How old is he? Is he vocalizing a lot?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he is 9. Started moaning at 3am so I picked him up and took him to bed. 2 hrs later he tried to get up but needed help. Then he tried jumping off the bed and fell off - moaning a lot after that and then wanted to go out. He's an outdoor cat most of the time. He's been out since 5am.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there medicine I can buy or is this just fatal?

Ok. Thanks for that information. With him being an outdoor cat, there is the unknown as to what he could have gotten into or had happen. Could he be in a situation where he's injured himself form a fight or being hit by something? Could he have eaten something that is causing all this? I'm going to be honest and say that with any male cat that is acting like this, a urinary blockage has to be on the list of rule outs. If he's inside right now, if he's been posturing to urinate and nothing is coming out, then this is extremely suspect. Do you have any way to get him to a vet clinic? All you can really do at home is to keep him in a quiet area for rest and observation. There isn't anything specific you can do but nursing care.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok then, is it fatal???

A urinary blockage is fatal if not treated. What else may be going on if this isn't? Then the situation is a case by case. Could he have had an injury again like a bite or being hit by something? It is something where there are too many unknowns at this time.