Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

We believe that our cat is having seizures, however, he is

Customer Question

We believe that our cat is having seizures, however, he is more stumbling and going limp, with the exception of one paw and occasionally his tail. The vet has ruled out other problems with blood work. He is an old cat, almost 18. He had a very long episode this morning, so we are waiting for the vet to open....possibly starting phenobaribtol today....Do you know of any syndrome that produces intermittent staggering/stumbling?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Whitey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Whitey?
Customer: He is on meds for hyperthyroidism, but this is well controlled, according the senior blood panel that was run on Wednesday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry Whitey is not feeling well.

It is possible he is experiencing a potassium deficiency causing hypokalemia and muscle weakness.

Read more here:

You can give him an ounce of milk which contains potassium and see if his symptoms improve A vestibular issue related to an ear infection is also possible as it produces similar symptoms:

His dosage of tapizole may need adjustment. So, it is best to get him to the vet as soon as they open.

Please let me know what is found and how Whitey is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?