Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Cat was under anesthesia surgery to drain an abscess. Had

Customer Question

Cat was under anesthesia for minor surgery to drain an abscess. Had seizures when being woke up. Now has issues with loss of balance, rear legs not normal (appearing weakened) and walking on "elbows" versus toes as normal for a cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: 9 years old in perfect health otherwise. Vet ran "diabetic panel" to make sure the cat didn't wasn't diabetic, which came back normal. Also loss of appetite following surgery. Is eating a bit more, not fully normal. Has issues walking up and down stairs now as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My question is primarily about the effects from the seizures the cat had (currently is not having in the past several days) only at the time of the surgery. This concern whether the weakened state will continue for a long time or does it generally go away with time. Are there any things that I can do to help or treat the cat (through local vets as well).
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

This is very strange. It's not anything that is typical when coming out of anesthesia. I would actually wonder if there's something going on with the brain and the anesthetic event was the tipping point to cause a seizure to surface.

The best thing to evaluate the brain, is an MRI. MRI is, as in people, the gold standard for brain imaging.

I think the other odd signs you're seeing can definitely be related to the underlying cause of the seizure. Most of these signs (incoordination, weakness) can be seen after a seizure, but they typically go away within hours. If they are persistent, then I would worry about a brain tumor or stroke or bleed in the brain that is leading to continued weakness.

I wish I had a better way to justify the signs, but unfortunately I would have brain tumor or stroke as the most likely cause of what you're seeing. If you can get an MRI, I would go that route to know for sure.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The info, but would knowing and doing an MRI solve anything? If anything I would lean towards a stroke. I did some research on line, and it would seem strange for a brain tumor to occur, at least to me.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Brain tumors are, by far, the most common cause of seizures in dogs and cats > 8 years of age.

A stroke would be the second most common.

The MRI tells us what we're dealing with so we know the prognosis. A stroke is something that a cat can recover from. A brain tumor will continue to grow and worsen.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?