nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

She swallowed a round burr JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The

Customer Question

She swallowed a round burr
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Loner,6yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Loner?
Customer: She's perfectly healthy otherwise.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long ago?Do you mean the plant material or the tool bit?How is she just now? Any coughing, appetite loss, or belly pain?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A burr from the weeds outside,she's coughing a bit and ate a few cat treats this morning. She slept sound thru the night. Its the little round sticky burrs,I spent last evening with my other cat at the vet getting a Fox sticker from her vulva,she sat on it. So I'm hoping not to have to go back to the vet again,but if I have to i will. Thank you.
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.
Thank goodness,While they can be very irritating to the throat, plant based burrs aren't nearly as dangerous as metal/tool ones. Still it sounds like she has been a bit uncomfortable. And since these can cause throat inflammation and on occasions get stuck in the throat, we'd want to tread with care. Now as long as she is breathing comfortably, there are some steps we can try to soothe her throat and get her eating. To start, in case the burr is still in the throat, we can try to help it slip through the throat into the stomach by treating her with an OTC cat hairball treatment (ie Laxatone, Catalax, etc). This can be given a few times daily in food or directly.Furthermore to reduce/soothe this cough and her throat, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.Finally, if her appetite is poor, we'd want to make eating as easy as possible for her. Therefore, you can offer soft foods (ie boiled chicken, white fish, meat baby food -garlic/onion free ones only) or even water down a calorie rich diet (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned kitten food). Alternatively, we can use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Catsure) or paste supplements (ie Nutrical). All of these will be easy on her stomach and throat and are nutrient dense so a little goes a long way.So, these would be our initial steps for trying to soothe Loner's signs. If she settles, we are happy. Though if these signs linger, we'd want to plan to have her seen. Her vet can ensure its not caught and start cat safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to reduce any inflammation from this and get her settled. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  nekovet replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?