Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Well she is having trouble going number 2. JA: I'll do all I

Customer Question

Well she is having trouble going number 2.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: she can't go number 2
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: belly
JA: OK. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mittens
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mittens?
Customer: she has aids
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm so sorry Mittens is having a problem defecating. How old is she? Is she on any medications for the HIV? When was her last b.m.? Is she showing symptoms of pain in her belly? What are they? Is she eating, drinking and urinating as usual? What food does she eat? Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little time to compose and send your answer. Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 9 months ago.
Hello, again. I was hoping to get some additional information from you, about Mittens, but at the same time, I did not want you to go too long without an answer. Constipation or not being able to produce stools, can be attributed to various causes. Mittens may not be drinking enough and is dehydrated; eating a high quality canned food, only and encouraging her to drink, using a cat drinking fountain, will help; she may be swallowing a lot of fur during self-grooming and this caused a large hairball mixed with hard, dry stool, that she can't get rid of on her own. Brushing and combing her twice a day, will help remove 'dead fur' so she ingests less while self-grooming. She may have ingested a non-food item that is causing an intestinal blockage. If she is on any medications for her HIV+ condition, this may cause constipation, as well. For the moment, you can try the following, if she is not vomiting and is eating normally: give her 1-2 ounces of plain cow's milk--this is a natural laxative for cats, as most are lactose intolerant. If she does not have a b.m. within a few hours, you can give her some plain, canned pumpkin (not pie filling), as the natural fiber will help, but this is not a 'quick' fix, and may take a few days of giving her 1 TBS twice a day, mixed with a small amount of wet food. You can also try plain, jarred pumpkin or sweet potato baby food containing NO onion or garlic products. Give her some hairball remedy like Laxatone or Petromalt; offer it from your finger, but if she won't lick it off, put about a 2 inch ribbon of gel on her foreleg, down near her paw and she will lick it off, as cats don't like the feel of 'sticky' on their fur. If you don't see any improvement, Mittens will need to be seen by a vet in person, to determine the cause of the constipation and treat her. The vet may use an enema, or manually remove the feces, if possible. An x-ray may be done to see if there is any non-food item in her intestinal tract and/or if there is a big hairball mixed with stool. At home, you can take a very warm compress and massage her tummy with it; this might help get things moving, but, if she's in pain, she might not let you do this and don't push her. I hope all will be well with Mittens! I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much! Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue. Warmest wishes,Cher