PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I took my 2 cats to vet. one of them Sol is new in my house

Customer Question

I took my 2 cats to vet. one of them Sol is new in my house 3 weeks since my older cat passed, Oscar was a lot younger is a very shy cat and was missing Sunny too much. When adopted Sol was curious, and started throwing up and I got worried. Sol was sneezing. after visiting the vet the diagnosis for Oscar was change diet to Royal food very expensive. and Sol was going thru a flu like and got a shot for this. after 1 week Oscar is doing better with new dry food, but he misses wet food that was eaten recently, for the past 2 months. Sol is the same and sneezes more and Oscar is sneezing too they are both sick, please help me, going to vet is very expensive. I would like to know if I can get something to help them both.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out. I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: I like to know what can I give both cats to stop sneezing. Thank you!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Are you seeing any mucoid discharge from the eyes or nose? 2) Any blood when sneezing? 3) Any open-mouth breathing? 4) Are the sneezes repeated or single? 5) Any changes in appetite?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, none of that, but sneezes are repeated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just need to know, what to give them
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am waiting here for your answer, thank you
Thank you for your reply. The reason I am asking these questions is to help determine what needs to be given. It will do you no good to give something that doesn't work. Give me about 5 minutes here to type out a reply for you.
The lack of mucous and other symptoms suggests that your cats may be dealing with allergies. One of the most effective approaches would be to give antihistamines for a few days to see if this improves their symptoms. There is one that works very well for cats and is available over the counter at practically any grocery store. It's called Chlorpheniramine. You can give 1-4mg/cat once or twice daily as needed for sneezing. If you begin seeing discharge, mucous when sneezing, blood when sneezing, open-mouth breathing, etc. this would indicate higher concern for an upper respiratory infection and I would prioritize having them seen by your veterinarian for confirmation and a prescription of antibiotics. That said, the symptoms right now seem to point toward allergies so hopefully this will save you a trip to the vet. Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.
Good morning, Celia. Checking in to see how things are going?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?