Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

He is not eating his normal food and seems to be drinking

Customer Question

He is not eating his normal food and seems to be drinking more water
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Buster,he is about 8 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: He is on a Vet diet of Royal Canin LP soft and hard food
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry Buster is not feeling well.Does he eat Royal canin for renal issues?if so, how long is he on that diet?Does he get SubQ fluids or any supplements?After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.Thanks,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I was hoping to hear back from you so we could talk about Buster. If he has renal issues, he may be nauseated.You can give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c every 12 hours.http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.htmlI usually add it to a tablespoon of chicken baby food with no onion or garlic. Two supplements that are very useful in the management of cats with kidney disease are Azodyl and Epakitin. These products help the body to eliminate waste products more efficiently, when the kidneys aren't working well. They are manufactured by Vetoquinol, and can be ordered by your veterinarian.He may just be tired of his food.I can give you two recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets before Science diet was on the market.Although, Royal canin makes a very palatable renal food.C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):1 lb regular ground beef, cooked1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked1 cup cooked white rice without salt1 teaspoon vegetable oil1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbsFeeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weightBody wt Approx Daily Feeding5lb 1/5lb7-8lb 1/4lb10lb 1/3lb _____________________________________________________________________________ K/D recipe - feline(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)2 cups cooked white rice without salt2 large hard-cooked eggs1 tablespoon vegetable oil1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute) Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic. Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weightBody wt Approx Daily Feeding5lb 1/4lb7-8lb 1/3lb10lb 2/5lbPlease let me know how Buster likes the recipes and how he is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional chargeKind regards,Terri