Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat's anus seems to be protruding. He usually has to have

Customer Question

My cat's anus seems to be protruding. He usually has to have help pooping. I usually squeeze the anal area to help him pass the stool. He did not have any loose stools today at all, but is now leaking a foul brownish discharge.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Blue. He is 17(+) and had kidney failure one year ago. We stabilized him and treated with IV treatments. He has been well for awhile now.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blue?
Customer: For the last two days he has not eaten well. He seems to want the liquid off of the can food. He did vomit today, but he usually does that when he is clogged up like he was this morning.
JA: The Veterinarian will know if Blue will be able to digest that. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?1) Do you have a clear photograph of the protruding tissue? If not, does it look like this? http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/images/thumb/8/8f/Rectal01.jpg/300px-Rectal01.jpg2) What color is the tissue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does not look like that. The anus is slightly protruded and the area around it is damp with leakage.
Can you share a picture of what you're seeing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know how to do that on this site.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will keep watching him and take him to the emergency vet if needed. Thank you for trying to help me.
If you're able to take a picture, you can upload it to a site like tinypic.com and share the link back. It's very straightforward and I can wait. Knowing what you're seeing makes it much easier to determine how to advise you. I can do it without a picture, too, if it's easier...but my accuracy may be off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand, but I don't know how to do that. I guess we will end this visit. I'm not computer savvy. Thank you again. How do we close up this chat?
We can do two things. I can either advise you based on what you've told me or I can contact customer service for you and have them process a refund. Which would you prefer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please contact customer service for a refund. I'm sorry I don't know how to upload things . I appreciated your time and efforts anyway. Thank you. :)
Anytime. Customer service has been contacted.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again!