Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has a lump just a little below his cheek. He's a

Customer Question

My cat has a lump just a little below his cheek. He's a neutered 16 year old and is HIV positive. He's in good health also he poops outside the litter box.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 5 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm sorry Booger's lump, just below his cheek, has you worried. It's possible that he had a scratch there, from himself or from his companion cat, and an abscess has formed, indicating infection. However, this lump may also be related to an oral/dental problem. If he has an infected or abscessed tooth or infected gum inside his mouth, under that area, it can cause swelling on the outside of his cheek. If his immune system is compromised due to being HIV positive, this may or may not be related. It's also possible that this could be a cyst or tumor but, the only way to find out for sure, what is causing this lump, is to have him evaluated in person by his vet. Pooping outside the litterbox is not uncommon in older cats. Typically, it can be caused by anxiety or stress, but also, in seniors, it can be caused by an underlying medical condition which causes pain upon elimination, like megacolon or lymphoma. He also may be slightly arthritic in his hind legs (or all 4 legs) and this causes difficulty getting in and out of the box, so try to get a low-sided box or cut down the one you have, if you can. Using a large, low-sided Rubbermaid-type, rectangular plastic receptacle can also be used as a litterbox. Get some Feliway plug in diffusers and spray to help with anxiety/stress and this may help with the inappropriate elimination. Here is more information: Also, make sure to clean the areas he soils completely, with only an enzyme-based product that removes organic stains and odors, so the scent does not remain and he doesn't return to the same place to do it again. Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor and Odor Mute are all well-recommended. After cleaning the soiled areas, allow to dry and lightly spray Feliway over the area, but allow to dry completely, before allowing the cats access. Bring a fresh fecal sample into the vet, for analysis, when you bring him in for evaluation of the lump. I hope all will be well with Booger and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Please take a moment to select a positive rating from the top of your page and then click 'submit'; this is the only way I receive credit from the site for assisting you, today. Thank you very much! I will always be here for you and Booger, if you need further information, so just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue. Warmest wishes,Cher