Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

A brown discharge from left eye. JA: I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer Question

a brown discharge from left eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Passion. He is 14 and has always had a clean bill of health.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Passion?
Customer: He recently had what might have been a stroke. We noticed he was constipated and then he seemed to have trouble walking with his hind legs. Rushed him to the vet and after bloodwork, x-ray, they just saw a mass of stool in his rectum. Kept him overnight to remove it. But also noticed he was having trouble focusing. I am out of work so after spending over $1200 for the one visit, I was broke. So I could not afford the suggested neurological tests worth $3K. I was given prednisone to help any inflamation and he was injected a week-long antibiotic. He has been doing better. Oh the X ray did show he has a weird looking kidney. It's round instead of bean shaped
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I have been giving him a supplement from Petwellbeing for kidney support, (their cancer support helped a cat that had cancer) and he seems to be doing better. However, I should mention that when I took him to the vet (this was in Feb), after the night stay, one eye (I believe the same one) would not open completely. They thought it had dried during surgery so gave me an antibiotic to put in his eye for a couple of days. It seemed OK so this just started.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. It sounds like Passion (and you) have been through a lot and I'm glad he's doing as well as he is, at this time. The brown eye discharge may indicate an infection, so he would need to be seen by a vet and then, diagnosed and treated. If you have any VCA Animal Hospitals near you, they provide a downloadable coupon for a free first visit for new patients. If you can bring him there, you would not pay for the examination fee, but you would need to pay for any medication that is prescribed. http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer If you don't have an VCA Animal Hospitals in your area, call your vet and ask if you can get a break on the exam and medication, considering that Passion is a long time patient (I'm assuming) and all the other bills really wiped you out. Usually, under these circumstances, if you've been going to a vet for a while, they'll give you a break. All you can do is ask. For the moment, put a cool regular tea bag (squeezed out) on Passion's closed eyelid and this will help draw out infection. Also, gently wipe away the discharge as it accumulates. If it hardens and is hard to get off, just apply a warm compress to get it to soften until you can wipe it away. You might also try to get some Terramycin eye ointment, which is sold in some pet supply and/or feed stores, or you can order it online: http://www.revivalanimal.com/Terramycin-Ophthalmic-Ointment.html------You can get this without a prescription, unless you live in California. I hope all will be well with Passion! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. Warmest regards,Cher