Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My kitty woke up sick. She hasn't eating or drinking any water

Customer Question

My kitty woke up sick. She hasn't eating or drinking any water all day! She was fine last nigh. What can it be?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Rochi!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roach?
Customer: No! She is a year old! Very active!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear that your Rochi is sick. When you say she 'woke up sick', do you mean she's been vomiting or just won't eat or drink? Is she still active now, or is she lethargic? Does she spend any time outside? Is she urinating and defecating as usual? Is she spayed? Does she have any other symptoms besides not eating/drinking? Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little time to compose and send your detailed answer. Warmest regards,Cher
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She just won't eat or drink! She goes outside sometimes. She did go to her kitty litter this morning. No, no more symptoms!
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply. It's possible that she ate something she shouldn't have, inside or outside, and this is making her feel nauseated or causing intermittent discomfort in her digestive system. For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. tablet of Famotidine (Pepcid AC) and this will help with any nausea or excess acid/acid reflux. An empty stomach produces excess acid which can cause nausea. Here is more information about this OTC acid controller: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid It's possible that the food you're feeding has gone bad or is tainted, so try a fresh can or bag of food you know she likes. If she ate something toxic or a different non-food item, this can be causing a problem in her intestinal system if she can't digest it and/or can't pass it. Cats love to play with 'ribbon or stringy' type substances like hair ribbon, wrapping ribbon, string, ponytail bands, dental floss, fishing line, etc., but it would be difficult to figure out if she got into anything she shouldn't have, without a vet visit and possible imaging, like an abdominal x-ray. If she's not vomiting, try to offer from your finger, a small bowl, or dropper or syringe feed her bland food like Beechnut Stage one chicken baby food (if you can't find this brand, others are also fine, as long as they do NOT contain onion or garlic. To fill a dropper (plain, plastic eye dropper or medicine dropper) with the food, it will have to be watered down. Go in from the side of her mouth where there is a space between her upper and lower teeth and just put the tip of the dropper in her mouth; squeeze in a little bit at a time and wait for a swallow. You can gently rub her throat to encourage the swallow reflex. For the moment, you can give her 2 droppersful (1ml or 1cc dropper) every 30 minutes for an hour, then repeat in 2 hours. You can also dropper feed a mixture of 50/50 water and children's unflavored, clear Pedialyte on the same schedule, but alternate the hours of giving the food and the fluids. Try very slightly warming up a smelly canned cat food (fish flavored) in the microwave, as that will release the aroma, which may entice her to eat. You can also open a can of regular (not cat food) tuna in water and pour the water into a bowl; if she laps it up, then, offer her some of the tuna, flaked up. She how she tolerates this food and if it doesn't make her sick and she continues to be active and is urinating/defecating, that's good. If her symptoms continue, bring her to a vet for an in-person evaluation and diagnosis. If she develops any other symptoms tonight, bring her to the nearest ER vet center. Check that the whites of her eyes, nose (if pink), gums, and ear tips are not yellow--this would include a liver issue. You can also rub a couple of drops of honey, corn syrup or pancake syrup into her gums, in case she is hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), to perk her up and possibly, increase her appetite. Also, feel her body to see if it is very warm, which would indicate a fever. This can be caused by a bacterial, viral or fungal infection. If you can take her temperature with a regular rectal thermometer or a digital one, lubricated with plain Vaseline or KY Jelly, normal temps for cats are between 100.5-102.5. I hope all will be well with your Rochi and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue. Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher