nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

Stray cat had bet scan chip no call from owner. Cat has diahria

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with From?
Customer: Cat eating well no fever or pain just messy #2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about From?
Customer: I know nothing about this cat but it is lost
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Have you kept the cat or is it at the vets?Has the vet done any tests or are they waiting for the owners to come forward?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Waiting to see if owner calls to claim. What to stop the diahrria
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No vet visit other than to have chip scanned
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that case, we will be limited in what we can do. Still, there are some supportive care steps you can take to at least slow the diarrhea and clear any benign causes of upset. Of course, if we have an infectious issues lurking, we will need the vet to test the stool and prescribe treatment to clear what is found. Otherwise, for the short term, you can start this can on a light diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. Whichever you choose, you can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) or OTC cat specific probiotics (ie Fortiflora) to help slow the diarrhea. Further to that, as long as its not passing blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the diarrhea we are seeing. And if we are waiting for the owner, we can only really start supportive care. So, the above would be our main focus at this stage to slow the diarrhea and try to settle it as we weight for the owner to come forward. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )