Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat got dehydrated and now hasn't peed 40 hrs

Customer Question

My cat got dehydrated and now hasn't peed for about 40 hrs she seemed to be drinking on her own but today I realized it wasn't very much and started force feeding pedyalite every 2hrs about a tablespoon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is 8 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kit?
Customer: She was wedged in the eves of the house for at least 24 hrs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and welcome. I'm so sorry this happened to Kit. Trying to rehydrate her at home was a great idea on your part, but I'm afraid it sounds like she's at a point now, where she needs vet help. She will need fluids under the skin or I.V. fluids and to be checked out to make sure she didn't receive any internal injuries when she was wedged in the eaves. For the moment, you can continue to force feed her 50/50 water and plain, unflavored children's Pedialyte from the side of her mouth, where there is an opening between her upper and lower teeth. Don't go in from the front of her mouth, as she could aspirate the fluid. Squeeze in a little at a time and wait for a swallow. You can gently rub her throat to encourage the swallow reflex. Give her 2 droppersful (1cc) every 20 minutes for an hour, then let her rest and give her more in 2 hours. Is she eating on her own? If so, give her only canned food, which contains a lot of moisture. It would be advisable to get her to an ER vet center, asap, tonight, so she can be rehydrated more effectively and also checked for any injuries. I hope all will be well with Kit and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks! Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be glad to continue at no additional cost.Warmest regards,Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher