Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have two cats. One is a male and one is a female. The

Customer Question

Hi! I have two cats. One is a male and one is a female. The male has lived with us for four years. The female we found on the street recently and she unexpectedly had babies. I tried to introduce the two to each other but the female screamed and hissed at the male cat and tried to attack him. I assume this is because she's scared and is trying to attack her babies? Most importantly though, is the solution to keep them away from each other until the kittens are weened?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation. To be honest, this isn't unexpected at all. When a new cat gets introduced into a new house, typically the resident or the introduced cat can have a lot of stress / anxiety with it. Did they get along before she had the babies?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did not. I should have made this clear. She started this before she had her kids. My questions are this, should we keep them away from each other. IF NOT, how do we introduce them to each other?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
And I meant protect her babies sorry.
Thanks for that information. Sometimes some females can become more aggressive / protective of their litters when a new male is in the environment. To be honest, I would separate them until the kittens are weaned as that will lessen the stress on mom. After the litter is weaned, then a process of introduction can be done. Probably the best way to do this is through a slow and steady approach. Initially introducing blankets / towels that each other has been on to the other. Then going to short visual appearances where they can see each other from across a room for a short period of time. Then it escalates to being in the same room for longer periods of time. There are no exacts as to how fast or slow this can be done. More than likely, the slower and more controlled the better. The use of a plug in feline specific calming pheromone diffuser called Feliway can help to ease the stress. Here is a link on
I'm hoping for the best for everyone. Thank you for giving this new mom and her kittens the care that they need.