Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 11 year old rag doll cat in the last two or three days appears

Customer Question

My 11 year old rag doll cat in the last two or three days appears to be sneezing and coughing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: Is this common. Toby has his flu shots about two months ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
Hello,I am so sorry Toby is not feeling well.It sounds like she has an upper respiratory infection. This is viral and analogous to our common cold. Hence, i does not respond to antibiotics.We commonly treat with an antihistamine to relieve the symptoms while the cats own immune system overcomes the virus.Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily orChlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day orClaritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat orZyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a dayIt is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).In addition, feed odorous foods so she can easily smell them and will keep eating.If her throat is sore 2 drops of honey every 4 hours will sooth and heal.You can also make a steam room in your bathroom by running a hot shower in taking her in for ten minute intervals.Please let me know how Toby is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regardsTerri
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
Hello,How is Toby?Do you have more questions I can answer about her cold?Terri