Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My male cat is 10 years old and just recently stopped jumping

Customer Question

My male cat is 10 years old and just recently stopped jumping up on lap or chair. He is eating, drinking, and using litter box. He is only an inside cat. A few weeks back when he started to jump up he would miss and then try it again and would make it but now he doesn't even try, just looks at you.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Percy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Percy?
Customer: No, he had a checkup about a month ago and everything was fine at that time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am sorry you are worried about Percy.When a cat stops jumping or hisses when he tries that indicates he is dealing with some pain.The most common ailment at his age is arthritis.https://www.vetinfo.com/managing-feline-arthritis.htmlGet him started on a glucosimine supplement. You can get it in any pet store.I recommend dasiquin:http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquinIt is best to feed canned food because it has oil to lubricate his joints.Warm compresses and gentle massage can also be helpful.A heating pad on warm can help.Please let me know how Percy is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri