Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 1 year old cat had a litter of 5 kittens 4 wks and 3 days

Customer Question

My 1 year old cat had a litter of 5 kittens 4 wks and 3 days ago. She has been doing great with taking care of her babies. She does have a problem with her eye, it started about a week ago, it's draining a lot, and she keeps it closed most of the time. I've been putting Murine Tears in her eye, and just yesterday 5-11-16, I started putting Clear Eyes in her eye. It isn't clearing up yet. It still drains a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Cupcake
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cupcake?
Customer: Also, she is very skinny and sunken in. She also has been throwing up all morning.
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Cupcake eat anything unusual?
Customer: Well, she did eat some lasagna last night. A few bites. But, other than that she has been eating soft cat food and hard cat food. She is constantly hungry too. She's never full.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Congratulations on the new babies. I am a little concerned about Cupcake.The eye is easy to treat. Just apply a damp teabag several times a day. Try to leave it on 2-3 minutes at a time. The taanic aacid in the tea will sooth and reduce the PH of her Tears.It is normal for a cat to be very hungry after delivery. Pregnancy labor and nursing can deplete her reserves. She sounds dehydrated. Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let her lap it up.Feed canned food with a tablespoon of warm water added.She can have some dry food as long as she drinks water after she eats it. She can also have tuna, milk and plain pedialyte.If she throws up add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c to a tablespoon of canned cat food or baby fod chicken with no onion or garlic. Cupcake will have a huge appetite as long as she is nursing but its better to feed small, frequent meals so she can keep it down.Please let me know how she is doing.Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.Kind regards,Terri
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?