Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

He is a little rescue, maybe 5 weeks old. His tummy is much

Customer Question

He is a little rescue, maybe 5 weeks old. His tummy is much bigger than the rest of the litter and he is quieter and thinner. His eyes also look like they don't focus as well, but he is no blind.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Beau
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?
Customer: He was found in a box with his littermates, and hand reared.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The most likely cause of this kitten's poor doing is intestinal parasites. Parasites can lead to a low protein level and fluid leaking from vessels into the abdomen and interstitial space. This can lead to the abdominal distension that you are seeing. A fecal exam will diagnose this. The treatment is with anti-parasitics. The other thing to rule out, is FIP (feline infectious peritonitis). This is a mutated Corona virus that can lead to a 100% fatal disease in kittens. It's a terrible disease that we just don't have a reason for or a treatment for. The diagnosis is made by tapping fluid in the abdomen and checking the protein levels. It's typically fairly high in these abdomens. Your next step should be a fecal exam and tapping the abdomen (if fluid is present). That will give you a diagnosis and a plan going forward. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.